Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The Letter to Adam

Both my Pastor, Bro. Jim Witherington and Robert's widow, Robin Pike, asked me to speak at my brother-in-law's funeral. This is the text of what I said:


If Robert had the chance to say something to his son, what would it be?

If he somehow knew that last Thursday was his last day with us, and he wrote a letter to his son, what would he have written?

As Robert's only brother in law, I held a sacred trust of loving, honoring, and protecting his only sister.

During the past five and a half years I have watched Robert go through the joys and trials of parenthood.

As the two of us grew into that role together, I was able to see almost instantly that within Robert Pike was the heartbeat of a father.

I say this because I had many conversations with Robert. In those conversations I could understand that his love for his son was clear as crystal, and many times more beautiful.

So it is in that spirit that I offer, as my tribute, this letter to Adam, from the heart of his father:

Dear Adam,

Even though I am not very good with words, I want you to know that you will always be the apple of my eye.

So many times I felt the pressure of this world like a ton of bricks.

There were times that I felt that life wasn't worth living.

And just when I felt like throwing in the towel, God would remind me of you, my dearest Adam.
The greatest joy of my life has been to watch you grow.

From the moment I first held you in my arms, I knew that I would move heaven and earth to provide for you.

There is really no way that I can measure my love for you, my son, because there is nothing to compare it to.

I can say this because the Source of this love is Jesus. And because He will always love me, I will always love you.

There is no force in the universe that can ever change that.

And now, my son, I have to say goodbye.

I don't exactly know why I have to leave, but I do know that God will fill in the blanks when the time is right.

Yes, I know that you won't see me for your birthday parties, the Christmas gatherings, your graduation.

But remember, even though you can't see me, I can see you. And your Grandpa will be standing right next to me.

Before I go, there's two things I need you to do for me:

-Always live for God

-Always take care of your mother

If you do these two things, you WILL see my face again.

I love you Adam Dalton.

Signed, Daddy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend, that was beautiful. As a mom, it makes me want to tell my son everyday, just how much I love him and how much God loves him. I hope and pray that the pain is lessened knowing that he is in God's arms and one day you will see him again. Love - KB

3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home